New/Mode’s SMS actions provide powerful ways to engage with your supporters. This article will explain the fundamentals of our SMS actions and how they interact with the rest of the New/Mode platform.
What types of actions can you set up with SMS?
There are two types of Outreach Actions you can use: SMS Broadcast and SMS Chatbot.
- SMS Broadcast allows you to send out a single message to a large number of supporters in your contacts list. This is great for campaign updates, important reminders, and delivering important information.
- SMS Chatbot provides the ability to both expand your contact list and allow supporters to complete Advocacy Actions without leaving their texting service.
How do I create an Outreach Action?
Start by setting up your supporter list on the Contacts section to ensure that you have their contact information handy and organized into groups.
Open your dashboard and look at the sidebar on the right to see the option to Create an Outreach Action. Click this button and you’ll be given the option to create an SMS Chatbot or an SMS Broadcast.
- If you choose to create an SMS Broadcast, you’ll need to compose the message you’d like to send and the group(s) you’d like to send the message to. You can learn more about setting up an SMS Broadcast here.
- If you choose to create an SMS Chatbot, you’ll first need to decide if you want the chatbot to link to an Advocacy Action or if you want the Chatbot to run independently. By linking the Chatbot to an Advocacy Action, your supporters can participate and complete your advocacy actions without leaving their texting service. By creating a Chatbot not linked to an Advocacy Action, you can easily collect user information in a friendly conversation format. You can learn more about setting up an SMS Chatbot here.
How do I manage which contacts I send messages to?
Using the Contacts and Outreach Tab, you are able to add contacts manually, upload lists of supporters, and sort them into groups. All of your contacts have to be in at least one group. When sending an SMS Broadcast or SMS Chatbot, you will choose which group(s) you’d like to send the messages to.
You can learn more about the Contacts and Outreach tab here.
How can my contacts participate in Advocacy Actions from SMS Chatbot?
When using an SMS Chatbot, it will initiate a conversation with your supporters to gather information normally used to complete a New/Mode Advocacy Action (eg. First Name, Last Name, Email, or other relevant components). Based on your initial set-up, your SMS Chatbot may finish the action by requiring your supporters to click a One-Time Link or it can automatically complete the action after the final message.
- The Chatbot can generate a One-Time Link that your contact can click on. By clicking this link, the Advocacy Action will trigger the action (for example, sending an email to a representative). Your contact will be taken to the Thank You Page, signifying that the action is complete.
- Alternatively, the Chatbot can automatically submit an action after the conversation is complete. To do this, select the Automatically perform action after final message checkbox below the conversation composer. From here, we recommend including a message at the end of your conversation thanking your supporter and informing them their action has been submitted.
How do I send my SMS Chatbot or SMS Broadcast?
- For SMS Broadcast, you can select which group(s) to send to on the Send tab. These groups can be defined on the Contacts and Outreach tab.
You can learn more about sending with SMS Broadcast here.
- For SMS Chatbot, you can either select which group(s) to send to on the Send tab, or, create a keyword to promote your chatbot on the Promote with Keyword tab.
You can learn more about sending with SMS Chatbot here.
Last updated: February 9, 2021