This is a quick guide to syncing your New/Mode actions to Mailchimp, from creating an integration in your organization to customizing field mapping on individual actions.
Additional configuration options: tags, groups, skipping updates, constant field values
Adding a Mailchimp integration to your Organization
1. Follow the steps to Create an Integration.
2. After you select Mailchimp as your CRM, give your integration a name.
3. Next, fill out the Mailchimp Settings section:
- API Key: To get your API Key, open your Mailchimp account, click on your name, select Profile > Extras > API keys, then copy an existing key or create a new one.
- Audience ID: To get your Audience ID, in your Mailchimp account open the Audience tab, click View Contacts > Settings > Audience name and defaults, and take the string of letters and numbers from the Audience ID section.
- Host: Similar to the URL you see when you log into your Mailchimp account. The Host is in the format 'https://<domain>.api.mailchimp.com/3.0/', where <domain> is usually the characters after the dash in your API Key (in the screenshot above it's "us12").
Connecting your Mailchimp integration with an Action
In your New/Mode action, open the Edit tab, and scroll down to the Integrations section of the Basic Configuration page. Select your Mailchimp integration from the 'CRM Integration' menu and click on 'Save & Next' to complete the process.
Syncing the fields in your Action to Mailchimp
1. Start by opening Advanced > CRM Integrations to arrive at the Sync Settings page:
The Sync Settings page has three columns:
If any of your action fields listed on the left-side column are not pointing to the field you want on the Mailchimp field column, follow these steps:
2. Click on Edit.
3. Find the Mailchimp API section and, under 'Target field in Mailchimp', select the right user field from the drop-down menu.
4. Scroll down to the end of the page and click on the Save button to complete the process.
Syncing Email Opt In to Mailchimp
By default, the Email Opt In is set to send the correct values to the 'Subscriber Status' Contact Field in Mailchimp. This setting makes it so that the first option is received as 'Subscribed' and the second one is received as 'Unsubscribed' without you needing to do anything.
Feel free to change the values so that the two opt in alternatives are displayed differently, but steer clear of the 'Customize keys' option!
Additional Mailchimp configuration options
Start by opening Advanced > CRM Integrations to arrive at the Sync Settings page, then click on 'Edit Mailchimp API':
On the next page you'll see a few different optional settings:
- Title: you can change the name of the integration here.
- Skip Updates: check this box if you only want Mailchimp to create new Contacts from the supporter data you're syncing, but not update any existing Contacts for those supporters.
- Tags/Segments: to add tags to the supporter data you're syncing, enter them here. Make sure to separate your tags with a comma, leaving no spaces before or after each tag.
- Groups: similarly, to add a group or interest to each Contact that gets created from this supporter data, enter the groups/interests here, separated by commas and without leaving any spaces in between.
- Constant Field Values: these are separate fields that allow you to attach other information to your supporter data beyond tags or groups:
- On the Mailchimp Contact Field drop-down menu, select the field in Mailchimp that this data should go to.
- Under Constant Value, enter the value that you'd like to be added to each Contact and sent to the field you selected above.
Make sure you save any changes!
Troubleshooting your integration1. Check the Host: on your dashboard, find the integration on the side bar and click through to it. Confirm that the URL you're using as Host follows the format below, and that the <domain> part matches the characters after the dash in your API Key. If it doesn't edit the Host URL and save the changes.
2. Check the field mappings: if your action has both a postal code and an address field, open the action and head to Advanced > CRM Integration. Confirm that only postal code or address is being synced to Mailchimp, as Mailchimp can't accept both. If you're mapping both fields, remove one of the mappings and save the changes.
After making either of the changes above, open the Submissions tab on your action and try syncing a submission manually.
- If the synchronization is successful (yay!) you can now sync the rest of the failed submissions in batch.
- If you still get a Synchronization Error (boo) contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, include a link to the action, and we'll give you a hand!
Last updated: March 9, 2021