Our actions offer a simple Test Mode so that you can see how your action will work live from end to end. We always recommend building at least a day of testing into your campaign timeline.
By entering a Test Mode email address, phone number, or Twitter handle, you can get live results for your campaign action (like seeing how your submission tokens look in action!) without actually needing to contact a target.
Test Mode Settings
Step 1: When you first create a new advocacy action, Test Mode will be on automatically. You can find Test Mode settings at the bottom of your action's Send Configuration page. Before you launch, you will be able to set your Test Mode email address, phone number, or twitter handle:
Please note you either need to turn auto-approve on, or manually approve your letters if you're testing emails.
Step 2: After entering your test mode contact information, run some test submissions! This will allow you to experience your action both as a supporter and as a target. Make changes as needed to improve your action.
Step 3: Once you're confident in your action, you're ready to launch! By launching your action, you'll take the action out of test mode, and allow your targets to be contacted.
After you launch, you can access Test Mode settings either from the Preview tab by selecting Return to Test Mode, or navigating to the Send Configuration page. In both instances, you'll see two options:
- Make action non-live (targets will not be contacted) - you will always see a red "TEST MODE" banner on your action when in test mode,
- Turn test mode on for logged in users (to test while action is live). - this setting is helpful for testing your action once your campaign is live. This will put your campaign action in test mode for your team members, but it will remain live for your supporters.
Test Mode Best Practices
But seriously, when you're testing a campaign action, there are a few basic things that your team can look out for to get the most out of test mode:
Content, Form, and Look
- Proofread all your content - the more eyes the better!
- Check that your action looks great across different browsers, both for desktop and mobile experience.
- Are all mandatory fields marked as mandatory?
- Is the text of the submit button customized the way you like it (i.e. Add Your Voice, Make the Call, etc.?
- Check your Thank You Page for content and make sure your social media share buttons work.
- Primary Targets: test your postal code look up - are the correct targets coming up (i.e. are you using the correct data set?)
- Target settings: Are all targets showing in the action or auto-selected and hidden as you intended? Did you allow for multiple selections or choose to limit to one target only?
- Emailing Action: Check that emails to targets and Thank You Emails to supporters are styled correctly. This includes things like email subject line(s), email from/reply to & email addresses and names, signature, tokens if any, etc.
- Petition Action: Test your action to make sure that it handles supporter's actions in the way you want, whether that's sending their letters to your targets immediately, saving them for latter, or set to collect sign-ups and not contact targets at all.
- Calling Action: Run through the action to listen to your intro message, check on your talking points, and see the after-the-call thank you SMS message.
- Tweet @ Action: Are the correct handles and hashtags appearing on your form?
- Letters to the Editor Action: Are all newspapers showing as intended? Does the action's placeholder text show your desired text? Did you set up different subject lines?
Last updated: January 15, 2021